Ten tips for top dental hygiene on holiday
It’s summertime, ice cream season and time to treat yourself and relax the rules. But ice cream, sweet desserts or drinks also pose the greatest threat to our teeth. Dr. Pink & Dr. Lutzenberger have some simple tips for staying healthy in the sweet holiday season.
1. Consume sweet foods and drinks with main meals. This reduces the negative impact on the tooth enamel.
2. Try to opt for fruit, uncooked vegetables or unsweetened muesli bars if you get a craving for something sweet.
3. Nuts are also a “better” snack because they help neutralise oral flora.
4. Water or unsweetened teas are the best thirst quenchers. Cola, Fanta and iced tea contain high amounts of sugar which attack the tooth enamel.
5. Important: after meals, rinse out your mouth thoroughly with water and remove food stuck between the teeth using a toothpick. Ideally, use dental floss which fits into almost any bag.
6. Small teeth-cleaning travel kits with a brush, toothpaste, dental floss and mouthwash can be purchased in most chemist’s and at your dentist.
7. Use sugar-free, teeth-friendly chewing gum after meals. This helps to reduce mouth acidity which is crucial in the formation of cavities and plaque.
8. Drink lots! This is not only important for hydrating the body. A dry mouth promotes cavity formation.
9. For optimal cleaning Dr. Pink & Dr. Lutzenberger recommend using an electric toothbrush. The newest models usually include a travel bag with a simple charger for on the road.
10. A healthy and low-sugar diet is the best option for avoiding dental cavities in the summer.